Wednesday, February 17, 2010

"911- What is your emergency?"

After a long twelve hour day at work yesterday, I just fell into my bed at around 9:00 last night. I was so tired. I think it took about two minutes for me to actually fall asleep. I was so excited to think I was actually going to get about seven full hours of sleep. Until....... "ding dong"....... I woke up thinking it was a dream. Who would be at my door that late? Then, "ding dong, ding dong." Somebody really wanted to get my attention. I rolled out of my bed and stumbled to the front door. I looked out before opening the door because, well, isn't that what you're supposed to do? I saw a police officer standing there. My heart sank. My son had just left an hour before. I opened the door and this officer looked at me with obvious concern on his face. I said, "is something wrong?" The officer looked at me and said, "ma'am, are you ok?" I said, "yes, shouldn't I be?" He proceeded to tell me that someone called 911 from my residence and hung up. After my heart got back into a normal rhythm, I advised him that I haven't had a home phone in four years so this was not possible. He looked perplexed. And I'm sure that I looked pissed, as this call was obviously not made from my residence and I was woken up from my deep sleep for this? As I've been a police dispatcher in the past, I know that when a cell phone calls 911, it does not give a physical home address. So how they got my address out of a 911 cell phone call is beyond me. Needless to say, I crawled back into bed, tossed and turned and could not get back to sleep. So my wonderful seven hours of sleep turned in to 5 hours of tossing and turning.

No comments:

Post a Comment